Shelly Johnston is a Sydney based Naturopathic Nutritionist who runs a clinic called Inner Strength Nutrition.
Shelly is very passionate about helping others to reach their full health potential through eating fresh, healthy and delicious foods. Most clients come to a consultation (click here to book) to learn how to eat for a particular health condition or because they would like to learn how to feed their families an optimal diet to maximize their family members’ health, or for Sports Nutrition advice.
Sports Nutrition became particularly of interest to Shelly after completing further studies in Sports Nutrition for Optimal Exercise Performance with Beck Health. She has many professional sports people on her books, as well as health focused individuals who are interested in maximising their sports performance for Fun Runs, Charity Events and other sports related events such as Ironman events, Marathons and Triathlons.
Shelly enjoys giving talks on Sports Nutrition to swimming squads around Sydney for the Can Too organization, which raises money for cancer research through sporting events and training. She has also lectured at several Sydney gymnasiums and for local exercise physiologists.
Shelly assists a wide range of clients with their diets, including elite athletes suffering fatigue, professional sports athletes, actors or models needing to make a specific goal weight for a dead line, and also exhausted new mums who often develop extreme tiredness. Stress and anxiety can also be reduced with diet by removing foods from the diet that can increase these feelings, and introducing healing and calming foods which produce chemicals that will help to relax and calm the mind and body.
Shelly is currently writing a book on Nutrition in Pregnancy.
Conditions that people frequently see Shelly
- Weight loss: For brides, actors, models, professional athletes, and others who have a specific weight deadline, those with obesity related illnesses or those who wish to lose a few kilos for a holiday or the beach season.
- Digestive issues: Constipation, excessive flatulence, excessive burping, reflux, and general stomach problems
- Stress and General or chronic fatigue: Feeling a bit down and tired or not quite yourself, your diet plays a big roll in that
- Lowering cholesterol and improving cholesterol ratios through diet and the use of natural supplements.
- Mothers and Parents: from pre-conecption and pregnancy and breastfeeding mums and those wanting to know how to make their own baby foods and how to feed toddlers through to Nutrition for Children
- Skin allergies: eczema, dry skin conditions and dermatitis and general food intolerances
- Inflammation disorders: reducing the pain of arthritis and other inflammatory disorders by following an anti-inflammatory diet and in addition taking supplements to reduce pain and inflammation.
For a full list of Inner Strength Nutrotion’s specialties please click here.
- Wow! You made quite an impression on the Can Tooers!! Thank you so much for speaking with the participants this week. They said you were very informative with lots of useful tips!!! And they thought you were lovely!!!~ Laurie Ryan – Guest Speaker Co-ordinator, Cantoo
- In professional boxing it’s so vitally important to get your weight exactly right. You can’t take any risks in getting it wrong. I was having trouble losing the weight and my energy levels were badly affected using the diet I was on myself. So, I consulted Shelly at Inner Strength Nutrition. After just one session and following the new diet plan she designed especially for my body type and training, my energy levels soared and the weight fell off and in addition, I was able to preserve my muscle for strength.~ Steve Lovett – Professional Boxer (Record 6/0 5 by KO)
- I have found Shelly to be a very professional, mature, personable and helpful nutritionist. She made me aware of my bad eating habits and recommended foods and supplements that have been lacking in my diet. For the first time in years I have lost weight and feel terrific. People comment on how well I look. I can thoroughly endorse Shelly as the nutritionist for you.~ Roy Shackley - Analyst (2012)
- More than happy to provide some feedback on Shelley Johnston, who presented to the C&P East squads on Wed & Thurs night (my team was Wed night). Although I believe it was Shelley's first presentation, she did a great job. Arrived early and spoke to me at length about what the squads are training for to gain a clear understanding. Was well prepared with substantial notes, but also understood about limited time frames and presented accordingly. Provided the squad with detailed printouts to take home and review (great win for the team to have something to hang onto). Really appreciate her presentation and information, so a big thank you fro the C&P pool teams. Cheers, Adrian Fyson~ Adrian Fyson – Swimming Team Captain at Cantoo
- I saw Shelly about 12 months ago regarding digestion problems in particular bloating of the abdomen. In the past I have seen several health professionals regarding my digestive issues, all of which had completely different theories and all wanted to make severe changes to my diet (which were completely unsustainable). Shelly was able to make a few changes to my diet and the results were seen almost instantly! Shelley supplied me with an eating plan and recommended I purchase some natural, over-the-counter remedies all of which were tasty and affordable. I no longer have issues with my digestion and as an indirect result, have lost a few kilos. Thank you Shelley- I now have a flat stomach!~ J. Waller, Coogee - Financial Planner (March, 2013)
- Nutrition is crucial when training for an endurance race, such as an Ironman triathlon. Correct nutrition helps you manage your weight whilst maintaining high energy levels in training and be stronger whilst staying injury free. Having a good nutrition plan for the race day is what gets you across the line in record time! Thanks Inner Health nutrition for your ongoing support!~ Sasha Khoma, Maroubra – Ironman (2012)