Shelly Johnston is a Sydney based Naturopathic Nutritionist who runs a clinic called Inner Strength Nutrition.
Shelly is very passionate about helping others to reach their full health potential through eating fresh, healthy and delicious foods. Most clients come to a consultation (click here to book) to learn how to eat for a particular health condition or because they would like to learn how to feed their families an optimal diet to maximize their family members’ health, or for Sports Nutrition advice.
Sports Nutrition became particularly of interest to Shelly after completing further studies in Sports Nutrition for Optimal Exercise Performance with Beck Health. She has many professional sports people on her books, as well as health focused individuals who are interested in maximising their sports performance for Fun Runs, Charity Events and other sports related events such as Ironman events, Marathons and Triathlons.
Shelly enjoys giving talks on Sports Nutrition to swimming squads around Sydney for the Can Too organization, which raises money for cancer research through sporting events and training. She has also lectured at several Sydney gymnasiums and for local exercise physiologists.
Shelly assists a wide range of clients with their diets, including elite athletes suffering fatigue, professional sports athletes, actors or models needing to make a specific goal weight for a dead line, and also exhausted new mums who often develop extreme tiredness. Stress and anxiety can also be reduced with diet by removing foods from the diet that can increase these feelings, and introducing healing and calming foods which produce chemicals that will help to relax and calm the mind and body.
Shelly is currently writing a book on Nutrition in Pregnancy.
Conditions that people frequently see Shelly
- Weight loss: For brides, actors, models, professional athletes, and others who have a specific weight deadline, those with obesity related illnesses or those who wish to lose a few kilos for a holiday or the beach season.
- Digestive issues: Constipation, excessive flatulence, excessive burping, reflux, and general stomach problems
- Stress and General or chronic fatigue: Feeling a bit down and tired or not quite yourself, your diet plays a big roll in that
- Lowering cholesterol and improving cholesterol ratios through diet and the use of natural supplements.
- Mothers and Parents: from pre-conecption and pregnancy and breastfeeding mums and those wanting to know how to make their own baby foods and how to feed toddlers through to Nutrition for Children
- Skin allergies: eczema, dry skin conditions and dermatitis and general food intolerances
- Inflammation disorders: reducing the pain of arthritis and other inflammatory disorders by following an anti-inflammatory diet and in addition taking supplements to reduce pain and inflammation.
For a full list of Inner Strength Nutrotion’s specialties please click here.
- I was troubled by spasms in the hands and the muscles in my legs had suddenly become quite weak in the legs. I visited Shelly at Inner Strength Nutrition and she referred me to a GP who was able to do the tests under Medicare and he diagnosed my very low Vitamin D levels. I work long hours and I don’t get time to get out in the sun much. I also suffered quite a bit of pain in the hands due to osteoarthritis. After 3 consultations with Shelly and a course of Vitamin D, I was feeling great. I no longer experienced spasms in my hands, and the strength in my leg muscles returned. I have a lot less pain with the supplements she gives me, and in addition I now follow an anti-inflammatory based diet. I see Shelly about once every 6 weeks to keep my pain under control and to gradually optimise my diet.~ Rita Miller – Music Teacher, Sydney
- I have found Shelly to be a very professional, mature, personable and helpful nutritionist. She made me aware of my bad eating habits and recommended foods and supplements that have been lacking in my diet. For the first time in years I have lost weight and feel terrific. People comment on how well I look. I can thoroughly endorse Shelly as the nutritionist for you.~ Roy Shackley - Analyst (2012)
- I found Shelly to be extremely thorough and insightful in her assessment of me. Her treatment plan worked like a charm and I have a renewed energy. I would highly recommend a visit to Shelly!~ D Downes - Artarmon (2011)
- I now have an extremely healthy daily diet after following Shelly's nutritional guidance. She has also helped reduce the pain caused by osteoarthritis by giving me an anti-inflammatory based diet and I also take 2 daily supplements which have reduced the pain in my hands. I also take an anti-inflammatory supplement which improves the appearance of my skin and I also take a daily supplement for my hair, nails and skin to improve their strength. I am really happy with my bi-monthly dietary consultations, and I will continue to seek her latest advice.~ Marilyn O'Carroll, Coogee. Retired - Hobby: Golf
- I was feeling pretty fatigued all the time from all the training before and after school, as well as having to cope with my school work. I had a consultation with Shelly at Inner Strength Nutrition, and she explained that I wasn’t eating the right carbohydrates, and was also not having enough electrolytes. Once I changed my diet and started hydrating, and rehydrating correctly, my energy levels were totally restored. Well worth the consultations for my long term renewed energy.~ JJ Coutts – Cricketter with NSW Cricket
- In professional boxing it’s so vitally important to get your weight exactly right. You can’t take any risks in getting it wrong. I was having trouble losing the weight and my energy levels were badly affected using the diet I was on myself. So, I consulted Shelly at Inner Strength Nutrition. After just one session and following the new diet plan she designed especially for my body type and training, my energy levels soared and the weight fell off and in addition, I was able to preserve my muscle for strength.~ Steve Lovett – Professional Boxer (Record 6/0 5 by KO)